Tobacco Possession and/or Usage
Northwest Technology Center recognizes that the use of tobacco has been shown to be linked to illnesses and disabilities and that federal and state law prohibits smoking in any indoor facility, or the grounds of thereof, which is used to provide educational services to children.
Therefore, smoking, chewing or any other use of tobacco by staff, students, and members of the public is prohibitied on, in, or upon any school property. It is specifically directed that this ban on the use of tobacco products will be in effect 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and will also apply to everyone providing service to the school.
- "School property" is defined as all property owned, leased, rented or otherwise used by Northwest Technology Center including but not limited to the following:
- All interior portions of any building or other structure used for instruction, administration, support services, maintenance or storage.
- All school grounds over which the school exercises control including areas surrounding any building, and parked areas.
- All vehicles used by the school for transporting students, staff, visitors or other person.
- "Tobacco" is defined as cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, snuff, chewing tobacco and any other kind and form of tobacco prepared in such manner to be suitable for chewing, smoking, or both, and includes any other product packaged for smoking.
- "Use" is defined as lighting, chewing, inhaling or smoking any tobacco as defined within this policy.
- "Staff" includes, but it is not limited to, full-time, part-time and contract employees.
Signs will be posted in prominent places on school property to notify the public that smoking or the use of tobacco products is prohibited.
In addition to prohibiting the use of tobacco, secondary students are also prohibited from possessing tobacco while on school property. If secondary students are found carrying cigarettes or other tobacco products, the tobacco product will be confiscated.
Download Tobacco Possession and/or Usage policy in PDF format.